Enter Title

How do I obtain a copy of my accident report?   You may come into the Monroe Police Station and request a copy of your report.  Please allow 5-7 days for your report to be ready.  Alternatively, you may visit crashdocs.org and enter the details from your accident there to obtain a copy of your report online.  

I was in a minor car accident.  Do I have to call the police?  If you are involved in a car accident, you are urged to calll the police as soon as possible and remain with your vehicle.  By N.Y. State Law, police must take an official accident report if any person involved in the accident is injured.  For accidents with no injuries, drivers are still urged to notify the police immediately so that a complete accident report may be taken.  If an accident occurred in the past or without your immediate knowledge, the driver may complete a “civilian accident report form” (MV-104) which may be obtained at any police agency or NYS DMV Office.  Civilian accident reports must be completed and mailed to the DMV within 10 days of the accident unless an official police accident report is taken.  

How can I obtain copies of other police reports?  First, you must complete and submit a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request form.  The form can be completed either in person or by mail.  You may download a copy of the FOIL request from our "Forms Tab" on this site or by clicking HERE.  The law allows  the municipality 5 days to respond to FOIL requests.  There is a fee of $.25 per page and additional fees for photographs and/or other media.

Does Monroe PD offer fingerprinting for my permit or job application If you are a Village of Monroe resident, you may stop by our station at any time for fingerprinting. Be aware that you may have to wait until an officer on duty is availabe.  You must bring your own fingerprint cards and have proof of ID.  If youremployer or agency requires digital fingerprints, you must go to an L-1 Site who can provide digital fingerprinting.  You can schedule an appointment by visiting:  https://www.ibtfingerprint.com/.

Do I really need to report minor incidents to the police, such as a stolen item from my car or property?  Yes. Even though the item stolen or the incident may be minor, the police need to know about all crimes in order to adjust their patrols and their staffing levels. Most times it will only take about 15 minutes of your time to complete a report.

Can I make my police report over the phone?  No.  While a report may be initiated by telephone, it is generally required that you appear in person to complete an offical report.  If the incident occurred in the Village of  Monroe, you may come to the station at any time to file your report.  If you are with the Village of Monroe and are unable to come to the station, the police dispatcher may send an officer to your location.  

What if my license plate or drivers license was lost or stolen Report the loss immediately to the local police agency.  If the theft occurred in the Village of Monroe, contact our department immediately.  After taking a report, you will be issued an MV-78 form to bring to the DMV so you may receive a replacement license or license plates.  

Can I call the police department directly instead of calling 911?  Yes.  If you are located inside of the Village of Monroe, you may call our direct police line at 845-782-8644.  A police dispatcher will answer the telephone and will be able to assist you.  If you have an emergency or a call for police service, the dispatcher will send a police officer to your location.  If you are calling for a legal question your call will be transferred to an officer on duty.

Why do 911 operators and dispatchers ask so many questions?  Dispatchers are required to ask the questions necessary to complete a blotter entry.  These questions include a persons name, address, telephone number, and the exact nature of the call or complaint.  Dispatchers are the first line of comminucation between the person making the report and the officer who will respond.  

I received a traffic ticket.  What do I do?  Once you receive a traffic ticket, it is very important to read through and understand the directions on the ticket.  Every traffic ticket will have a court date on the lower portion of the ticket.  This is not a trial date.  The date on the bottom of the ticket is the date by which you must answer the ticket.  You may answer a ticket either by mail or in person at the courthouse.  You must answer your ticket by the date printed on your ticket.  Failing to answer a ticket will result in the suspension of your license.  Persons may plead either guilty or not guilty.  If you answered your ticket by mail with a plea of guilty, you are not required to appear in person.  You will receive a response from the court with the corresponding fine as well as a notification of any points which may be assessed on your license.  If you answered your ticket by mail with a plea of not guilty, you will receive a notification fro the court with a date to respond for trial. 

I was a witness to a crime, what should I do?  Being a witness of a criminal act involves good observation. If you observe a crime involving a vehicle, attempt to obtain the vehicle’s license plate number along with a description of the vehicle and the occupants. The vehicle description and license plate number are very important in a criminal investigation. Once the crime has stopped or is out of your view, call 911 or our direct line (845-782-8644) and describe in detail everything you just observed to the dispatcher.  DO NOT attempt to stop the person committing the criminal act unless you are prepared and authorized to do so.  If the criminal act involves a person but no vehicle, try and observe the following:  Gender, ethnicity, height, weight, hair color and a clothing description of shirt/pants/jacket/hat, including the color.  Next, write down everything that you just observed and wait for the arrival of the police.  You may be asked to positively identify the suspect that you just observed by what is called a “show up."  Follow the instructions of the police officer.  You will then be asked to give a statement as to what you just witnessed in order for the police to begin the arrest process. 

How do I report a break-in in progress If you are inside your residence and believethere is an intruder inside of your home, attempt to take a cell phone or portable phone with you and leave the residence immediately.  If there are other members of your family in the residence with you, get them out of the residence also.  Once you have made it to a safe location, call 911 immediately.  Give your address first and describe to the dispatcher what is going on.  If you observe your neighbor’s house with a possible intruder, call 911 immediately and lock your doors.  Stay near a window where you can make observations but cannot be seen. Give the dispatcher your address first, then your neighbors. Describe your neighbor’s house and if you believe the owner is home.  Describe any vehicles that are parked within your view, the license plate numbers and if they are occupied by anyone.  Stay on the line with the dispatcher until the police arrive.

Can I make a complaint regarding someone committing a vehicle and traffic offense?  Yes, however you cannot sign a formal complaint against someone who commits a traffic offense.  You may still report a specific person or vehicle, or a pattern of traffic offenses committed at a specific location, such as speeding on a specific street. Our supervisory staff will determine whether or not extra enforcement is required in that area based on the number of complaints received as well as other factors. 

What happens after a person is arrested?  After being arrested, a person is transported to the police station and processed. This includes obtaining their pedigree information, photographs and fingerprints.  The officer will then determine if the person needs to be arraigned before a judge.  If the person does not require an arraignment, they will be issued an appearnace ticket and released.  If the person requires an arraignment, they will be brought to a local criminal court or the Orange County Jail for the arraignment.  If the person is remanded, they will be transferred to the Orange County Jail in Goshen, NY.  If the judge set bail at the arraignment, he or she may post the bail at Orange County Jail.  

What is the legal limit for driving while intoxicated?  .08% Blood Alcohol Content (B.A.C.) is the legal limit for the charge of Driving While Intoxicated, a misdemeanor.  If your Blood Alcohol Content (B.A.C.) is below .08%, you may still be charged with Driving While Ability Impaired (D.W.A.I.) depending on the reading.  Drinking and driving any motor vehicle never mix.  Call a cab or ask a friend to drive you home.

What should I do if I am stopped by the police?  Click here to see guidance from the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators and New York State Association of Chiefs of Police.